Collège et Lycée Saint-Charles
Collège Saint-Charles
Collège Saint-Charles

A modern school since 1897

At the dawn of its 120th anniversary, Saint-Charles draws on its history of combining circumstances and vision to create a respected establishment, with an influence that today goes far beyond the cantonal borders. Here, the people themselves have always been placed above all other things, and the ultimate vocation is that of accompanying the youngsters on their personal journeys. Over time, Saint-Charles has developed a tradition of open-mindedness, curiosity and sharing of knowledge.

It was founded on 6 May 1897 by Ernest Daucourt as a boarding school providing academic assistance to young Catholics from the Jura area. The first study room was housed in the premises of the Reinach residence, now a Catholic vicarage.

On 1 July 1901, the Catholic youth institute moved to its present location on the banks of the Allaine river. After primary and secondary classes began, the old salt depository premises were transformed into classrooms, study rooms, libraries, dormitories, refectories and a chapel.

In 1918, the Saint-Charles Institute bought a watchmaking factory and a gilding workshop located along the Allaine and started giving lessons there as of 1922.

The Collège Saint-Charles, as the institute was known from 1925 onwards, had 120 pupils by 1930. The premises were no longer suitable for their purpose and a new expansion was initiated.

Between 1939 and 1977, an agreement with Saint-Maurice in the canton of Valais allowed final-year students to study for their baccalaureate there. In 1978, the Collège Saint-Charles obtained the authorisation to issue its first high school diplomas. Today, nearly 250 students attend the campus, and around 8,000 alumni carry the humanistic spirit of Saint-Charles to all four corners of the globe.

Texte

Birth of Ernest Daucourt in Porrentruy

1848
Texte

Ernest Daucourt, the prefect of Porrentruy, inaugurates a boarding school for young boys, under the guidance of Abbot Constant Vallat. Classes take place at the patrician residence of Reinach, in Porrentruy. Evening classes provide civil and religious instruction. It is therefore named the Catholic Institute.

6 mai 1897
Image
Présentation

The Reinach house is considered too small. Classes are now conducted in the old salt depository of the Prince-Bishops, an imposing 18th century building on the banks of the Allaine.

1901
Texte

The new school opens as part of the Catholic Institute, hosting two post-school classes.

1910
Texte

Ernest Daucourt and Jules Koller, then rector of the new school, are granted permission to open a primary school, and then a secondary school in 1914. The salt warehouse premises were refurbished for this purpose.

1913
Texte

The Catholic Institute becomes the Saint-Charles Institute, on the initiative of Abbot Charles Humair, who becomes its new rector.

1915
Texte

The Institute becomes the Collège Saint-Charles. Its management is entrusted to the canons of Saint-Maurice (Valais). Thanks to the generous support of the Catholic community in the Jura and of the Diocese of Basel, the school is then expanded. An annex and a chapel extend the old façade. A newly built section allows nearly 300 pupils to be accommodated.

30 septembre 1925
Texte

Construction of the present chapel, dedicated to Saint Thérèse and the infant Jesus.

1930-31
Texte

Planning of a new annex to host eight literacy classes.

1932
Texte

An agreement with Saint-Maurice allows final-year students to study for their baccalaureate there.

1939 - 1977
Texte

Planning of a new classroom building

1962
Texte

Opening of the Léon Burrus sports centre (gym and swimming pool)

1972
Texte

Opening of the girls school

1975
Texte

The Collège Saint-Charles obtains authorisation to issue its first high school diplomas. Approved to issue high school diplomas

1978
Texte

Development of the library reading room and the girls' boarding school.

1987
Texte

Erection of a polyptych in the chapel, under the aegis of Abbot Chèvre, the rector.

1989
Texte

Josiane Pourchet becomes the first female rector of Saint-Charles.

1991
Image
Ecole - extérieur

Renovation of the old buildings for the College Centennial, thanks to the support of patrons from the Jura area

1997
Texte

 Introduction of immersive German on primary school level

2001
Texte

This immersion room is outfitted

2010
Image
L'internat

Creation of the new boarding school for boys

2014
Image
Multimédia

Opening of the new library and complete overhaul of the IT facilities

2015
Image
La maturité bilingue en anglais

Introduction of the bilingual French-English Maturité

2016
Texte

Celebration of the 120th anniversary of Saint-Charles on 6 May.

2017